That’s a question we would all like an answer to, “Where do we go from here as a nation?” Our Government has lost its’ purpose as stated within the United States Constitution, “by the people and for the people”. Government officials are more interested in protecting their political careers rather than doing their jobs in serving the people of the United States. America has lost respect from abroad. We go it alone invading countries, we are no longer considered the “military power” of the world or as an economic “super power” while losing respect with our “cowboy” mentality.
The dysfunction within our country has become systemic and not only paralyzing our Government but our society as well. We got here due to our lack of caring. “Let the Government do what they want.” “If it doesn’t affect me directly, I don’t care.” Then there are many that just don’t know where to turn or what to do.
As individuals, we are now directly affected financially and spiritually, we suddenly care and blame the Government for the state of our nation’s affairs rather than accept responsibility for our lack of involvement. The minorities have special and unnecessary laws implemented while our individual rights have slowly eroded. The majority no longer sets the law and our freedom has been compromised. We have lost our basic right on which our great nation was founded on “In God We Trust.”
The progression of erosion within our nation has taken place over several decades; we are now at an impasse. There is no immediate solution or fix, but there is hope and we can change direction. If we work together, we can reverse or slow down this destructive cycle we are caught up in. I don’t have the answers but have comprised suggestions from various sources listed below. The ideas are simple and could be slowly implemented with positive results. As we move forward, we can focus on the more pressing issues we are facing: Restructuring of Social Security, Medicare and the Tax Code and review Obamacare’s 2,000 plus pages of rules and regulations. Such hot button issues need to be addressed by Congress and the American people together.
- Federal, state and public officials/employees can purchase their own retirement and participate in the same health care plans as their constituents and the common folks must do;
- Set term-limits on members of Congress;
- Congress participates in Social Security. All funds in Congregational retirement fund move to Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system and Congress to participate with the American people. Social Security funds may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay to rise according to the standards applicable to Social Security increases;
- Submit a bill requiring our Government to operate within a balanced budget with exceptions during times of extraordinary circumstances.
- Review and revise the Obama Health-Care requiring public input. Congress needs to review the entire 2,000+ pages in its entirety and openly and calmly discuss their concerns prior voting on the bill;
- Government waste and abuse needs to be addressed by a common-folk committee;
- Decrease Government payroll and streamline departments starting with the top first;
- Scrutinize our domestic spending policies, we need to care for our own first;
- Enforce our current immigration laws and stop the flow of illegal immigrants into the U.S. Set-up a timeline for illegal immigrants to begin the process of becoming a U.S. citizen and learn English as their primary language. Illegal immigrants with a criminal background would be deported immediately.
The above suggestions are not set in stone but serves as an excellent point of reference. With your input and participation, goals could be established. Individuals with skills and areas of expertise could volunteer a few hours each week or month for a specific cause. Imagine the resources that we could pull together if we work as a team with direction and purpose.
By pulling our resources together and focus on one specific issue at a time, we could make a difference. As a united group, we can draft and forward bills to our elected officials on State or Federal levels. Such bills could be submitted accordingly on our behalf. Make an effort… today!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6