Jesus Christ… who is he exactly? What I know of Jesus I learned from research, reading the Bible, attending mass and sharing with friends. I was aware of the teachings of Jesus at an early age and taught about Jesus Christ and the Blessed trinity. It wasn’t until I was much older did I realize that Christ is not just about religion, but also that of faith, hope and spirituality; I believe in something greater than myself.
About Jesus Christ
What is there to know about Jesus? As much that has been written about him, there is still a great deal of mystery surrounding his birth, death and resurrection. Jesus is viewed as many things to many people. By not placing Jesus in a predefined box, it allows each of us to form our own belief and personal relationship with him. Ultimately, Jesus (God) belongs to everyone. Jesus Christ is love and through him there is salvation and hope.
To the non-believer, I wish you many blessings on your journey and to self-discovery. It is through respect of one another and our views that we can live among each other in accord and acceptance.
Whether one chooses to believe in God or not, the pathway we take is personal. Free will allows each of us with the opportunity to travel our path while on earth. Choose wisely and may you travel in peace.
The Many Names of Jesus Christ — According to the Bible
The Bible has countless names describing Jesus Christ (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). Below is a partial list describing how Jesus is defined within the Bible:
- Redeemer — 1 Co 1:30
- Merciful — He 2:17
- Redeemer — Job 19:25
- Comforter — Jn 14:16-8
- Eternal Life — Jn 1:2
- Gift of God — Jn 4:10
- Good Shepard — Jn 10:11
- I AM — Jn 18:6
- Lamb of God — Jn 1:28 | Rev 17:14
- Light of the World — Jn 8:12
- Living Bread — Jn 6:51
- Son of Man — Jn 1:51
- Truth — Jn 14:6
- Emmanuel — Mt 1:23
- Jesus — Mt 1:23
- Lord and Savior — 2 P 1:11
- All Knowing — Ps 139:1-6
- Shelter — Ps 61:3
- Equal with God — Phil 2:6
- Alpha and Omega — Rev 1:8
- Beginning and the End — Rev 1:8
- Tabernacle of God — Rev 21:3
- Creator — Ro 1:25 | Is 40:28
- Anointed One — 1 S 2:35
Jesus has also been called by man: Savior, a good man, possibly a legend, an angel, teacher, God, all powerful, all knowing, compassionate healer and prophet. The list is certainly not complete, but it does provide you with how respected he has been throughout the ages.
Favorite Scripture Passages
I have compiled some of my favorite Bible quotes. They have helped to instill faith and awareness towards guidance during difficult times. I hope you enjoy them and able to apply them in your life as well. (Reference: Douay-Rheims and King James Version of the Bible)
- “For God so lived the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. ~John 3:16
- “And I say to thee: That thou are Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” ~Matthew 16:18
- “And whilst they were eating, Jesus took bread; and blessing, broke, and gave to them, and said: Take ye. This is my body. And having taken the chalice, giving thanks, he gave it to them. And they all drank of it. And he said to them: This is my blood of the New Testament, which shall be shed for many.” ~Mark 14:22-24
- “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd giveth his life for his sheep.” ~John 10:11
- “And now there remain faith, hope and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity.” ~Corinthians 13:13
- “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” ~Proverbs 3:5-6
- “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” ~Romans 8:38-39
- “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” ~Romans 8:18
- “Lay not up yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” ~Matthew 6:1921
- “If the world hates you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.” ~John 15:18
In a time with so much conflict occurring throughout the world, I feel solace in talking about hope and faith. I’ve watched the U.S. go from working together for the common good towards conflict and chaos. The government and society place much emphasis trying to be all things to all people while negating the common good of all. It’s no longer, “one for all and all for one” but rather, “all for me and all for me, myself and I”. Inner peace is now filled with inner conflict and hate. There is no longer looking within for peace and solace but rather seeking from without for instant gratification, greed and power.
For readers that have an interest in religious facts, the big religion chart offers a quick reference comparison chart of religions and belief systems.
I do hope this article has instilled curiosity, compassion, understanding and open-mindedness. Peace, prayers and blessings to all!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all
your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. ~Proverbs 3:5-6