Since January of 2009, President Obama has led the United States through wars, severe depression, economic instability and increasing unemployment only to be faced with an ongoing onslaught of continued gridlock, dysfunction and impending issues within Washing, D.C. President Obama’s first term has been a challenge and he has come through with tenacity.
Obama’s second term hopes hinges on his ability to lower unemployment and sooth Americans’ worries over the state of the nation’s finances. On his watch, Americans witnessed the first ever credit downgrade of U.S. government bonds in early August. That followed a month-long battle between Democrats and Republicans over the U.S. budget, where the White House failed to win its proposed “grand-bargain” of budget cuts and revenue raising.¹
To date, however, his second term has been plagued with a barrage of controversies and criticisms from the public, within his own party and the Republicans. Scandals, IRS classified leaks, Benghazi and the unresolved problems of the Affordable Healthcare Website have paralyzed our government. The President’s ratings have been spiraling downward and his leadership has been ineffective to date. Perhaps trends will change and President Obama will be able to lead and move forward with his second-term agenda.
Despite his setbacks, the former community activist and one-term Illinois senator has already ushered in change in a variety of ways: through his race as the nation’s first African-American president and through potentially revolutionary political tactics that involved reaching out to average citizens through the internet and unprecedented ways.²
Facts You May Not Know About President Barack Obama
- His favourite meal is wife Michelle’s shrimp linguine.
- He won a Grammy in 2006 for the audio version of his memoir, Dreams From My Father.
- He is left-handed — the sixth post-war president to be left-handed.
- He has read every Harry Potter Book.
- He worked in a Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop as a teenager and now can’t stand ice cream.
- He was known as Barry until university when he asked to be addressed by his full name.
- He carries a tiny Madonna and child statue and a bracelet belonging to a soldier in Iraq for
- His favourite music includes Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Bach and the Fugees.
- He enjoys playing Scrabble and poker.
- He doesn’t drink coffee and rarely drinks alcohol.
- He repaid his student loan only four years ago after signing his book deal.
- He uses an Apple Mac laptop.
- He wears $1,500 Hart Schaffner Max suits.
- He has his hair cut once a week by a Chicago barber, Zariff, who charges $21.
- He keeps on his desk a carving of a wooden hand holding an egg, a Kenyan symbol of the
fragility of life.³
More Facts About President Obama
- Obama is distantly related to Vice President Dick Cheney.
- Obama was the first black president of the Harvard Law Review in 1990.
- He graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1991.
- While at Punachou Academy, Barack befriended Frank Marshall Davis (1905-1987), a journalist,
poet, and supposed communist whom he looked to as a role model.
- Obama is a Christian and a former member of the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. He
has never been a Muslim.
- After Reverend Wright continued to make inflammatory remarks during Obama’s campaign, Obama
denounced him and formally quit the congregation of the Trinity United Church of Christ.
- Obama’s youthful appeal, his social networking on the Internet, and even his texting both promoted
awareness of his campaign and created a loyal following. His historic use of the Internet will likely
act as a template for future presidential elections.4
To ensure proper credit is acknowledged concerning the picture, click on President Barack Obama to visit the website source.
¹The Washington Post – Politics; Barack Obama – Why He Matters; View website Washington Post.com.
²Reuters – Politics; Barack Obama – Election 2012; View website Reuters.com.
³The Telegraph News; “Barack Obama – Facts You May Not Know”, By Jon Swaine, 07 Nov 2008; View website.
4 Random Facts – Random Facts and Interesting Trivia for the Curious Mind; “Interesting Facts about Barack Obama”, View website.
Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God.
Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. ~Hebrews 13:7